No downstream heat treatment, CO2 savings for customers
GMH Gruppe GREEN STEEL
Decarbonisation pioneer in the steel industry: With GREEN STEEL, we’re one step ahead when it comes to sustainability.
GMH Gruppe GREEN STEEL makes our customers’ products more sustainable – thanks to climate-friendly production processes, even today:
Each kilogram of crude steel from our electric arc furnace causes 1.3 kilograms fewer CO2 emissions than comparable steel from integrated steelmaking routes. We use 100% scrap as feedstock. Our value stream saves emissions thanks to climate-friendly logistics. New sustainable measures and innovative products are constantly being added. Above all: We have a clear, realistic roadmap for how we will produce our already low-emission steel in a completely climate-neutral way by 2050.
Our GREEN STEEL logo combines all the measures that make products more sustainable for our customers.
Measures: We are always improving
- We use the growing infrastructure for green electricity and hydrogen in Europe
- We are further expanding our recycling of mineral secondary materials
- We are continuously working on reducing our energy requirements
- We regularly have our energy management system externally certified according to ISO 50001
- We actively involve employees, e.g. through our company suggestion scheme and training courses at the GMH Akademie.
- We have established a sustainability management system connected to management as an executive department which, together with other management systems, coordinates all sustainability issues
- We develop steels that enable leaner processes in further processing, which reduces emissions MORE INFORMATION →
- Our steels also save emissions during their use MORE INFORMATION →
- We rely on state-of-the-art technologies that clearly go beyond the legal requirements MORE INFORMATION →
- We use our waste heat for our processes and feed it into district heating networks MORE INFORMATION →
GREEN STEEL innovations
Conrods made from 46MnVS5
10% lighter than C70S6, for efficient, lightweight construction (reduces vehicle emissions)
Tangible sustainability: Our products
Blooms and billets
Steel bar, rolled
Piston and connecting rods
Contract (toll) machining services
Seamless rolled rings
Rotor retaining rings